Friday, June 11, 2010

Inside/Outside The Scene



Born and raised in Tucson, Arizona I have watched the border go from open, where you didn't even need a drivers license to cross back to the U.S. to what it is today, a military operation; a very tense situation. The last time I went to Nogales, Sonora was about four years ago... and then the business' across the border were still thriving. When I crossed last weekend I was horrified to see a deserted town. I spoke with restaurant owners, the ones that are still open and many are planning to close down. I saw maybe two Americans on the Mexican side and of course they were holding their tax free cigarettes, medication and booze. As I walked through the empty streets of what used to be a day vacation and fun experience for many Americans I was sad. I was sad for the crumbling economy; and we'd be wrong to say that is not a result of all this negative publicity and our addiction to drugs. Mexico has been exploited by America almost since the beginning of their relationship, and it's so sad that we as educated American people are turning our backs on a country that practically assisted us in every way. Mexico has been outcasted, Mexicans have been outcasted. On this site; the U.S. and Mexican border people are loosing their lives. On this site families are being destroyed, economies are being destroyed and on this site the country that keeps it's citizens living in fear succeeds in the economic torture of Northern Mexico. I pray for our karma and for the people who are suffering; all the misplaced workers, I pray for the kids that are starving and malnourished nothing but 60 miles south of the University of Arizona.

No comments:

Post a Comment