Saturday, June 12, 2010

La Malinche

I am a Mexican woman and I have experienced rape. You might wonder what the connection between the two is. La Malinche also known as Dona Marina impacted my life when I learned of her story, she is known as the mother of the Mexican and also to her Aztec people as a traitor. In history and in my experience women fall into two categories; the whore or the 'virgin' mother. Depending on which story you read and who wrote it my Mexican culture is a result of the symbolic rape (often literal in meaning) of the Native tribes by the Spanish conquistadors; which ultimately produced me. Does this mean I am a child of rape, destined to be spoiled? I began to wonder if the cycle of violence against women would always be accepted. And worse I began to wonder if the woman would always be forced to carry the blame, even if it is obvious it was not her fault. I sat on a bench in a park on Speedway and Stone holding up this sketch I drew which represents both La Malinche and I. Some people connected with the image and some didn't but it made no difference to me as I offered my time in memorial for all those who have suffered and still suffer at the hand of another. If you need help click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment