Saturday, June 12, 2010

walk 2/week 3


Well, this performance was quite interesting. As I have mentioned before I work in a law office which is a professional setting. As my small modification I chose to put an excess amount of make-up as well as jewelry on and went to work. Shocked unsure, and uncontrollable laughter is what I came across at first sight by my co-workers. The attorneys were much less entertained, they were concerned about how it "looked" to clients that I was done up like a "clown"... although I'm sure that's not the word they wished they could have used.

The first observation I have to address is the fact that even though I have worked there for three years it was hard for anyone in the office to take me seriously. In my opinion I didn't go too far overboard with the make-up... I added lashes, put on a little too much blush and eyeshadow and complimented it with red lipstick (I thought I looked very 1980's). Yet still I have to say less was asked of me that day. For example often times I am asked to translate from spanish to english for either clients or the attorney depending on the situation... this is pretty much an everyday thing, so I wondered when I was not asked by the attorney to help him if it was a result of my make-up and accessories. Also normally I do banking and pick up disclosure from downtown, but ironically I was not expected to do so. Also I was pretty much asked to hide anytime someone outside came into the office. Although I did experience some changes is what was expected of me when I was visible, this was not and issue regarding the phone or daily computer tasks.

After work I went to Lucky Wishbone to pick up some dinner and there I did receive looks, but I couldn't really tell if they were checking me out or ...? Men (with the exception of the attorneys and my boyfriend) didn't really seem to have a problem with how I looked, but oh holy hell did I get it from the ladies.

I guess at the end of the day after the shock in the morning of looking at myself in the mirror passed I began to be a little sad for my other self. I felt bad that just based upon how I had decided to present myself I was ridiculed, judged, sexually available or not taken seriously. I began to think about a conversation or argument my boyfriend and I got into after we watched a performance by Christina Aguilera. His comment was "doesn't she have kids" implying that her sexual expression was unacceptable for a mother. Boy did I go off considering he bumps lil Wayne on the daily and various other male rappers that drip with sexual references who.... oh my God... have kids too!

Ultimately I was forced to recognize that women particularly have to endure so much on a daily basis just because of how they are dressed, or how they choose to present themselves, or even the art they create. It is frustrating for me to know that this is just how our society functions, and that other countries don't have the same freedoms we do here in America. The day started off almost like a joke, but by the end of the day I was really kinda angry.

See the link note the references to men vs. women... 'Compton Cookout'

1 comment: