Wednesday, June 9, 2010

walk 1/week 1


While on my walk I focused my attention on what my senses could tell me. I walked noting things I felt to be interesting or at best grabbed my attention. During this time the senses I most often found useful were the sense of sight which is symbolized as a yellow star, the sense of sound symbolized by a pink circle and the sense of touch which is a green line with a green squiggle.

  1. Sight: In my career as an artist I have found myself attracted to liquor stores. I have always lived in neighborhoods that had an abundance of them, so I assume thats why I like to photograph them. When I was looking for this place I live now I had my seven year old step-daughter in mind. What I noticed while walking on Country Club, Speedway, Dodge and Grant is that in that whole square-mile only four liquor stores where open for business... guess I chose a good neighborhood!
  2. Sound: I also wanted Amira (my step-daughter) to live in a neighborhood where there were plenty of children that she could possibly get to know. I remember when choosing the neighborhood I assumed that her father would want to send her to the school closest to the house. I was wrong, he did not want her going to the school and quickly I forgot they event exist; until I went walking and herd the many sound of the active schools.
  3. Lastly, the upgrade to the nicer side of town challenged me to do one of my favorite things to do... walk with no shoes! In my old neighborhoods this could mean stepping on some seriously nasty stuff, but here I strutted along as if I had not a worry in the world. Well with the exception of the heat the ground emits, none the less it was an enjoyable experience.
What I enjoyed most about this exercise was not escaping my household :) but allowing myself to breath, to experience once sense at a time and try to put out all other stimulants which I choose not to focus on. In a sense this walk was like meditation, relaxing and rewarding.

No comments:

Post a Comment