Thursday, June 10, 2010

Sounding Out The City


Michael Bull published this in 2000, it has been ten years since then and I would image that the dependence on the personal stereo has grown immensely. Bull expresses that music has a tremendous effect on those who depend on it and or live for it. The introduction of the Ipod has dramatically changed the convenience of having your music everywhere you go. I was one of those kids that had my boom box with all my tapes stacked next to it... until the CD came around and I had my disc-man for road trips and late sleepless nights. I stayed loyal to the CD as long as I could, I refused to get an Ipod and be like all those other kids who had white cords hanging from their ears or worse have my computer crash and all my music files go with it.
I could never really understand the people who live on the Ipod... don't the songs lose their touch, don't those people lose touch with reality? The one or two times I did use my Ipod during my trek across campus and I felt really weird. I felt very disconnected and fidgeted more with the music to match my mood rather than just enjoying my stroll. Even when I tried to use my Ipod in the darkroom while printing... again I became more concerned with the music than the art, which has never been an issue when using a boom box and a CD.

In some cases like I mentioned before, personal radios are awesome... the Bart or "Tube" long road trips or exercise is where I find the personal stereo the most beneficial. I believe that these examples in which I find the personal stereo at its highest potential has something to do with the distraction and or disconnect from time. Out of a case holding 100 CD's I could listen to five or six by the time we reached Los Angeles (from Tucson) and be bummed that I didn't get to listen to more, rather than itching to get out of the car by Blythe, AZ. The same goes with exercising, I put thirty minutes on the cardio and the time flys while I'm listening to music not to mention creates a motivation and adrenaline rush that compliments the activity well.

There are pros and cons to everything in life. I believe that music particularly... similar to books vs. Ipad carries a nostalgia that is to be respected and preserved. Yes it is easier to take your computer or even your Ipod as a DJ and put it on top of the mixer instead of hauling around all your sacred records and spinning, but does it loose its impact, does it loose it ritualistic characteristics? I can understand the loner that wants to be disassociated with the world that just doesn't understand him, but I hope for his sake while he rides his bike he hears that car horn that honks at him before knocking him to the ground.

No comments:

Post a Comment